Sustainable Development Goals: How we can each make an impact
April 23, 2018
In 2016, 17 Sustainable Development Goals of the United Nations 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development were implemented. These goals were centred around ending poverty, protecting the planet and ensuring prosperity. The 17 goals, as administered by the United Nations are:
- No poverty
- Zero hunger
- Good health and well-being
- Quality education
- Gender equality
- Clean water and sanitation
- Affordable and clean energy
- Decent work and economic growth
- Industry, innovation and infrastructure
- Reduced inequalities
- Sustainable cities and communities
- Responsible consumption and production
- Climate action
- Life below water
- Life on land
- Peace, justice and strong institutions
- Partnerships for the goals
As global citizens, we all have a responsibility to contribute to the environment and sustainability in the best way we can. By turning simple daily practices into routines, such as spring cleaning with junk removal, we can make a big difference in the simplest of ways.
Steps to Sustainable Household Waste Disposal:
- End paper mail and instead, request to receive bank statements and bills online. Avoid printing where possible.
- Eat more plant-based products instead of proteins from animals, as greater resources are used in producing meats than salads
- Turn food scraps into compost instead of disposing in general waste bins to divert from landfill and assist in natural growth of organics
- Choose products with minimal packaging (read more about excess product packaging here)
- Practice recycling through sorting, separating and placing waste in the appropriate bins
By executing these small and simple practices, we can each make a positive impact on the environment, contributing to the global Sustainable Development Goals, locally.
At Bingo Industries, our waste management and recycling services in New South Wales and Victoria focus on transforming the industry to reach sustainability goals. With passion as the key to our success, we believe starting locally has global importance. For this reason, through our practices and services, we strongly support the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals. This is through Community, Sustainability and Diversity.
As an arm of Bingo Industries, Bingo Education, was also initiated in collaboration with Planet Ark to promote and enhance sustainability. Through fostering a culture of change and increasing knowledge of school students, we aim to encourage future generations to actively take part in sustainable efforts for now and in the long-term.